in

PainterFactory.com

David Gell's Blog

...a Painter brush maker and explorer who likes to share

Static Pencils / Colored Pencils.

The following custom variants are all based on the Static Bristle Dab type, and have been developed to supplement the default Painter Pencil and Colored Pencil brushes. Many of the variants in the library make use of Painter's Jitter feature which gives randomness in the brush stroke path, and in this case, a resulting diffuse texture.

In the above demo image, the brush strokes in the upper half of the image were made with the Cover variants, whereas the lower strokes employed the Buildup variants.

The letter 'P' visible in some of the strokes comes from a custom paper texture in association with the Grainy variants.

As already mentioned, the grainy appearance in many of the strokes comes from the Jitter setting, and not the current paper texture.

Resource Download

The download comprises of the following;

• a complete zipped brush library for Painter 7 and upwards.

There are no restrictions on use, other than the resources are not to be offered for sale or redistributed without my prior consent.

Download Static Pencils.zip (24 KB) for both PC and Mac platforms.

Published Dec 09 2007, 01:10 PM by David Gell
Filed under: ,

Comments

Bev langby said:

David thanks again these look great cant wait to try them

cheers Bev

January 14, 2008 5:59 PM

jgbales said:

David,

I downloaded your zip file and put the extracted static pencils folder in the brushes/painter brushes folder, but when I try to load the library it ask me for a .brs file.  I have gone thru the manual and the on line help but it doesn't tell me what I am doing wrong.  Can you help me?

May 1, 2008 2:23 PM

David Gell said:

Hi jgbales,

After unzipping, the folder named Static_Pencils (which with contents is a complete brush library for Painter 7 and above) should be placed at the top level of the Brushes folder. Use the Load Library option in the Brush Selector Bar menu to navigate to and load the Static Pencils library. Do not use the Import option, as this is used to import/convert non-xml, pre-Painter 7 libraries, which are .brs files on the PC platform.

May 1, 2008 3:06 PM

gaston said:

thanks for your tutorial

all regards

September 22, 2008 1:51 PM

artmessiah said:

I have got to say THANK YOU for these pencils.  They are by far the best pencil tool I have used within a software application.  I haven't touched a real pencil to draw with in months.  Really nice job.  Please take care.

Wayne

May 21, 2009 3:13 PM

David Gell said:

Many thanks gaston and artmessiah.

June 12, 2009 5:05 PM

Mazen ArRammal said:

Thanks I am already trying to tweak the default pencils effects.. but this one seems to do ok.

June 26, 2009 8:06 PM

Johan Derycke said:

Just found out about these pencil brushes...

They look awesome! Will try them tonight!

Thanks for sharing :)

July 3, 2009 3:41 AM

wayne said:

Thank's David! Now I can put away my drafting card and stop getting graphite all over my keyboard.

July 31, 2009 3:02 PM

David Gell said:

Many thanks Mazen, Johan and Wayne :)

July 31, 2009 5:08 PM

About David Gell

I have been using Painter since version 6 (on the Mac platform)
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.

Banner Artwork by Andrew Jones.