in

PainterFactory.com

Image resizing: PS or Painter?

Last post 08-07-2009 2:05 PM by sscheele. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-30-2009 10:49 PM

Image resizing: PS or Painter?

Howdy all,

I have kind of a conundrum here: I am doing a painting that I would like printed in 24x30" (that's the size of the final page, I'm thinking of leaving a margin of about 1" on the edges and about 3" at the bottom to print a title), but I don't know whether I should resize in Photoshop and then import the image to Painter, or to resize it in Painter. Where would I have less pixelisation? The current size of the image is 11.5x15.5 inches.

My second question is if I am going to lose too much detail in the resizing that will throw Painter's autopainting off or make the image difficult to work with.

Also, what would the optimum resolution be? The original image has a resolution of 240, is that good enough to work with in Painter? If I resize the picture in PS without resampling the resolution goes down to about 120. I can do resampling but I wonder if too much detail will be lost. What's the minimum resolution I should work with a picture in Painter?

Thanks in advance.

• 07-06-2009 9:05 PM In reply to

Re: Image resizing: PS or Painter?

Resize it in Photoshop CS3 or CS4. It gives you the option of picking an algorithm specifically for enlargement or reduction that gives it an even nicer transformation than any other graphics program available. I work with a lot of large images and Photoshop is very stable with images of the size you want to do.

• 07-07-2009 8:39 AM In reply to

Is this a photo you're importing? It sounds like you're resizing up to do an overpaint. Is this correct? If so, why does the pixelation matter? If you're overpainting then a bit of pixelation won't make a difference (not that I've ever used that function so I stand to be corrected).

Regarding the resolution of 240 - you mean DPI, right? DPI makes no difference at all to the digital image. It doesn't matter whether you work at 5dpi or 5000dpi. DPI only applies to printing and refers to the number of pixels that will span an inch of printed image.

One reason people get confused about DPI (and 99% of people are) is because when you change DPI the s/w package often assumes you want to keep the print size the same, and therefore changes the pixel resolution for you. In most pacakges you can turn this off via a checkbox (normally something like "Preserve Image Size") which stops the s/w "helping you out" by resizing your image when you change the DPI (and vice-versa).

At a guess (as I'm not sure what you're doing) I'd say you need to

a) Decide what DPI you want to print at. Let's say 240 (as your original image is already 240)

b) Import your image. Resize it from 2760x3720px (which, if it's 11.5x15.5 inches @ 240DPI, it is now) to 5760*7200px (which is 24x30" @ 240DPI). Make sure you have modified the checkbox so DPI doesn't change when you resize.

c) Your image will now be resized and slightly pixelated from the upsizing. Use this in whatever way you need and print it out.

• 08-07-2009 2:05 PM In reply to

Yes - there is a lot of confusion between DPI and PPI. PPI stands for Pixels Per Inch and is a measure of image resolution. DPI has different interpretations (see Wikipedia) but for a printed image it refers to Dots Per Inch where a dot is a very small dab of one of the printer inks.

My images are typically 240 PPI and I print at 2,800 DPI. DPI affects resolution only indirectly. PPI can be modified in software package ( e.g. Painter or Photoshop) while DPI is modified in the printer dialog.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.

Banner Artwork by Don Seegmiller.