in

PainterFactory.com

Painter X under Windows 7 (64 bit)

Last post 02-01-2011 7:20 AM by Fes. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-31-2010 5:01 PM

• jlward
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-31-2010
    • Posts 4

Painter X under Windows 7 (64 bit)

Anyone have any idea if they are trying to get this application to run in Windows 2007?  I just got a new computer and can't get Painter X to run at all.  I've gone through all of the steps on Microsoft's site, but still haven't had any luck.  I don't want to upgrade to version 11 yet because it feels like it's close to when they will be releasing the next version.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

• 03-31-2010 6:09 PM In reply to

Re: Painter X under Windows 7 (64 bit)

I've got Painter X and Painter 11 running on Windows 7-no problems at all. Do you have the Painter X patch and all the upgrades for W7?

You'll need to tell us the details of what won't happen when you start Painter X? How far does it get in starting? Any error messages?

• 03-31-2010 6:22 PM In reply to

• jlward
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-31-2010
    • Posts 4

Windows 7 is up to date.  I wasn't aware that they had released a patch for Painter.  I'm downloading it now.

Painter will launch and I'll get to the splash screen.  Then it says it has encountered a problem and prompts me to tell Corel about it.  I've never even got far enough to enter my registration information. 

I'll install the patch and see if that works.

Thanks.

• 03-31-2010 6:35 PM In reply to

• jlward
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-31-2010
    • Posts 4

Okay, so, I've installed the patch (10.1) and I'm still getting the same application crash where it prompts me to send a report to Corel as soon as I get to the splash page.

I'm running an Intel i-7 quad core with 16 gigs of Ram, a 700 gig hard drive, and an ATI Radeon 4530 graphics card.

• 04-01-2010 2:34 AM In reply to

16gb of ram? That may be your problem right there.  Painter 11 will run on 8gb ram, which I have. However, Painter has never recognized more than 2 gb of ram.  Try taking out all but 4gb of ram, and see if Painter 10 will work with that.

• 04-06-2010 11:18 AM In reply to

jlward, have a similiar system & problem My workstation is a> Intel i-7 o/c to 4 GZ, 12G ram. painter hangs just the same as your's. Had to install it on XP Mode which is almost useless as it doesn't allow for Wacom use...it runs fine otherwise.

To check, I also installed it on my online only puter which has the same CPU but only 6G ram. Guess what, it runs fine?!?@?!...I'm still up the creek however, since I don't have a Wacom on that system.

What, me worry??!?@?$??%(

• 05-04-2010 6:09 AM In reply to

• Fes
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • UK
    • Posts 865

This is a well know bug in Painter X.  Painter X will only start/work if you have 8GB or less installed on any system.  Painter 11 doesn't have this limit and will work if you have more the 8GB installed.  This doesn't mean that the programs actually can use all this RAM.  Both programs can only access/use up to 2GB.

Win 7 64 bit, 24gb RAM, i7 x980 (6core), 2x GeForce GTX 460

Economy Notice:
    Due to recent budget cuts and the cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions and the continued decline of the economy, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.
  • 08-27-2010 12:10 PM In reply to

• Harold
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-22-2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 8

Thanks, Fes.  The Corel tech support person or persons I emailed with had no idea this was a problem.  How did you discover this?  What makes it well known?

• 09-17-2010 3:26 PM In reply to

• Fes
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • UK
    • Posts 865

Corel tech support don't spend their time online trying to solve problems to find out the answers. haha.  Someone aught to re-write their staff support manuals.

It's a reasonably well known 'bug' to anyone else who hangs around Painter forums a lot (if bug is what you want to call it.... probably evolved from a time when the program writers thought no-one would actually have more RAM than that installed - and no-one thought to change it till v11) .  ;) 

I believe the answer was supplied once by one of the programer chaps, many moons ago.

Win 7 64 bit, 24gb RAM, i7 x980 (6core), 2x GeForce GTX 460

Economy Notice:
    Due to recent budget cuts and the cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions and the continued decline of the economy, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.
  • 10-24-2010 11:59 PM In reply to

I just installed Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I'm thinking of installing Painter X which I had installed on my Win XP Pro last year. Should I install it on the virtual XP platform of Windows 7?

Thanks, 

• 10-25-2010 1:29 AM In reply to

• Edie
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2008
    • Halifax NS
    • Posts 157

I ran Painter X on my Win 7 Pro 64 for some months before I got the upgrade to 11, without any trouble.

We have but one life, live it well!!
    AMD FX(tm) 8 core processor, 16GB RAM, Radeon HD 7900 series video card 1 Gig RAM, Dual Monitors
  • 11-04-2010 9:52 AM In reply to

• mayito7777
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-04-2008
    • Central Florida
    • Posts 5

I have Painter X and I used with Windows XP SP3 using Wacom Graphire4 and with Windows 7 (Enterprise) and it works fine no problem. Forgot to add I have only 4 Gig RAM

Seek and ye shall find. JESUS
  • 12-19-2010 2:24 PM In reply to

Go to this link: http://dev.depeuter.org/metacreations_fix_30.php#COMMENTS

Be sure to read the comments under the install instructions to tweak the steps for Win7.  I am running win7 64 bit with 9 Gb RAM with no problems after running his script.  There is no need to cripple your system by pulling ram, or going through the hassel of making a seperate boot sequence.

This script works by giving the memory checker in Painter what it wants to see.  After that it allows the program to start normally, and all systems (including as much memory as Painter can use) will be available.

I also use a Cintiq, and have had no problems using that either, all are playing nicely together.

This is the answer provided by a programmer many moons ago.  He has written a generic update that will apply to all versions of Painter up through X, and also other programs with the same problem.  Be sure to use the one on the linked page (3.0) and not the earlier ones.

Thanks to Fes for jogging my memory.  I used this to get Painter 4 up and running on a XP system years ago, and had forgotten it.

• 01-17-2011 7:05 AM In reply to

I have an intel core i3..and a graphic card of 1 gb....and my pc is 32 bit..Can I install corel painter 11 witjouht problem though I couldn't install it properly because it refused to install and froze..Thanks

• 01-26-2011 6:39 AM In reply to

I have installed Painter X but when it opens it tries to load a splash screen but can't. It doesn't show any error message. What could be the problem?

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.

Banner Artwork by Andrew Jones.