in

PainterFactory.com

Painter 12 does not launch

Last post 05-31-2011 10:30 PM by Eva. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-28-2011 10:33 AM

• Eva
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-28-2011
    • Posts 14

Painter 12 does not launch

Hi, I'm running Windows 7. I use a Wacom tablet Intuos4, and I purchased an upgrade to go from Painter 11 to Painter 12.

After installation, I tried to launch the program, and it hangs. Doesn't launch! Any idea of what could be the cause of this? 

I noticed that after I installed the Painter 12 upgrade, my Intuos4's drivers were gone, and I had to uninstall it and re-install it to make it work. Could it be some kind of bad interaction between the two of them?

I've restarted the PC several times, and I even did a "repair" for Painter 12, in hopes that this would help. It didn't. The program hangs right before getting the welcome screen. If I don't close the program, it stays like that ... showing the grey screen with the cursor in the shape of a little brush. That's all it does.

I'm not a computer geek ... :) ... so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! :)

Thanks in advance.

• 05-28-2011 11:04 AM In reply to

Re: Painter 12 does not launch

How long did you wait? The first time I started up the production P12 it took over 3 minutes, and thereafter about 25 seconds.

Also, have you tried holding down SHIFT when you double-click the icon?

• 05-28-2011 11:16 AM In reply to

• Eva
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-28-2011
    • Posts 14

No, I waited about half hour. I left it there, hoping that it would work, but no luck. I haven't tried the shift key thing, I'm doing it right now. I'll let you know what happens. 

Thank you!! :)

• 05-28-2011 11:24 AM In reply to

• Eva
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-28-2011
    • Posts 14

I tried pressing shift while clicking the icon (BTW, I'm running the program from my taskbar, so it only takes "one" click) ... but it's been over 9 minutes already, and it's hanging there saying that Painter 12 is not responding ... :(

• 05-28-2011 11:30 AM In reply to

It should come up with a message asking you if you're OK on deleting any existing workspaces. If it doesn't, SHIFT hasn't worked and you should maybe try running it from your desktop.

• 05-28-2011 11:48 AM In reply to

• Eva
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-28-2011
    • Posts 14

Well, no shift didn't work. I tried putting the Painter 12 shortcut on my desktop and trying double-clicking it while pressing shift, but it's there ... hanging unresponsively.

Oooh!!! What can I do? I'm DESPERATE to try the mirror painting!!! :))

• 05-28-2011 1:16 PM In reply to

Weird, it should come up with the message immediately. Short of the obvious like rebooting and re-installing we'll have to wait and see if anyone else has any ideas.

• 05-28-2011 1:34 PM In reply to

• Eva
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-28-2011
    • Posts 14

Yes, I've just uninstalled it, rebooted, reinstalled ... and it keeps doing the same. I think it could be some kind of issue with my system. I'm running Windows 7 ultra 64, and for example, with Photoshop, every time I try to launch the 64 version of it, it closes, but if I run the 32 version, it works fine. I wanted to see if I could install a 32 version of Painter 12, but ... like I mentioned ... I'm not too geeky, so I can't find it on the installation CD. It doesn't let me choose! :( ... so, I really have NO idea of how to fix this issue! :( 

It's a pity because Painter is one of my favorite programs! The one I use most.

Thanks again SimonDB

• 05-28-2011 3:12 PM In reply to

Hi Eva,

Welcome to The PainterFactory!

Try following these steps, exactly, and in order.

1. After Uninstalling Painter 12, rebooting, and installing Painter 12 again, don't launch Painter 12, just reboot again.

2. Then hold down the Shift key while launching Painter 12 (hold down the Shift key continuously until you see a message asking which Workspaces you want to reset. Choose all Workspaces.)

3. Continue to hold down the Shift key until you see that Painter 12 has launched and the Welcome screen is displayed.

4. Then let go of the Shift key and wait while Painter 12 finishes launching and setting up the Default Workspace and Default Palette layout. (Be patient as it may take a while.)

Good luck!

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    PainterFactory Forum Moderator from July 2007, when the site opened, through March 2013

Visit PixelAlley.com for more about Corel Painter
  • 05-28-2011 3:25 PM In reply to

• Eva
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-28-2011
    • Posts 14

Thanks Jinny!!! :) 

I will do this right now. I'll let you know of the outcome.

Thank you for the info!! :))

• 05-28-2011 4:26 PM In reply to

• Eva
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-28-2011
    • Posts 14

Jinny, I did all that. When I hold shift, I get the message, I hit on "all workspaces" ... I continue to hold the shift key, but it hangs there (I waited 10 mins. holding shift) ... I never get the welcome screen, only the big grey screen with the painter 12 logo, (the logo then disappears, leaving the cursor in the shape of a little brush) ... and that's it. Painter keeps non-responsive.

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 05-28-2011 4:38 PM In reply to

Hi Eva,

Other than doing some system maintenance, I  can't think of anything right now you could do to get Painter 12 up and running.

By "system maintenance", I mean cleaning out temp files, etc., defragmenting your hard drive(s), and scanning your hard drive(s).

1. I use MacAfee for all of these tasks and there's a Quick Clean feature I use first.

2. I run Defrag on both my C:\ drive and my external hard drive then scan both the C:\drive and external hard drive.

3. Last, I reboot and hope that's enough to get everything working right.

Sorry you're having so much trouble.

Hopefully someone else will have some additional, and useful, ideas.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    PainterFactory Forum Moderator from July 2007, when the site opened, through March 2013

Visit PixelAlley.com for more about Corel Painter
  • 05-29-2011 6:17 PM In reply to

Something you might try... but before getting to painter I want to mention something. This happened on Mac and I'm sure it might also be the case on Win7 x64... I have to do a session to test but please bear with me. I finally bought a 6d ArtPen to add to my Christmas present an I4 medium only to find that it wasn't detected at all, even after a reboot. Having had a lot of tablet related experiences with my Geniuses over the years I went to the Wacom site and downloaded the latest drivers. Next I uninstalled them. Installed the atest drivers, logged out and back in again and hey presto!

What I might suggest you try is this.

Before you get started download CCleaner and the latest Tablet drivers.

Next having installed CCleaner use it to uninstall your wacom drivers andPainter 12... Completely (back up any custom tablet configs etc first though!

Next run the registy cleanup utility in CCleaner and maybe a history cleaner too (Option 1) You may get asked if you want to save your existing registry configuration first,,, choose whatever you like, I have never been able to succesfully repair a registry in 15 years if it goes pear-shaped so I just ignore this.Shut down your system, unplug the wacom and reboot.

Now try installing P12 again. If you are succesful with this then shut down again, re-plug yout wacom. reboot and install the latest drivers.

This kind of routine has brought me some success in the past with P 10 and 11 as well as other programs on 64 bit Windows. Failing this, like Jinny, I am not sure what else could be causing the problem other than a messed up registry entry or .dll conflict which will most likely resuly in you having to do a registry clean up. Steps for this you should find within these forums but be warned... playing about with the regisry can result in an inoperable system, so be sure you follow the guide step by step if it comes down to that, and Best of luck! I've been there personally quite a few times and reckon my success rate was maybe 70% Have lost my OS totally on at least 2 occasions. Hope things are not that drastic though. Seems as though you can install the app no problem and its just the lauch that's giving the issue.

Just on a side note, you have not mentioned your system configuration. Painter 12 is a huge memory-eater from what many have been experiencing so far. If you have minimal memory and or other apps running for example this might cause the program to hang and crash.

• 05-29-2011 7:36 PM In reply to

• Eva
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-28-2011
    • Posts 14

Thanks so much, zooreka!!!

I'll do all this and let you know the outcome. Yes, I too hope that things don't go as drastic as you describe! ... :) 

Thank you!

• 05-30-2011 10:16 PM In reply to

• Eva
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-28-2011
    • Posts 14

Hi zooreka!!

Well ... I followed all the steps ... one by one ... IT WORKED!!! :) ... Now, FYI ... it takes about 30-40 minutes to launch!!! But I got it running, which is wonderful!!! 

My system configuration is:

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 - Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4650 

Now, I went to the Painter/Edit/Preferences, and under "performance" I noticed that it was using 80% of my 8GB memory! I don't know if that's good or bad ... I lowered it to 30, just in case.

Do you know if this is "better" or not? I also unchecked the two boxes that have to do with smoothing the artwork when zooming. I figured that I might not really need that, and it probably takes up too much of my CPU resources. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Now, you can imagine that I'm TERRIFIED of closing the program!!! I did it once, and then it took longer to open!!! So ... I don't know if maybe, those little tweaks helped or hurt. 

Thank you very much for all your help everybody!!! I appreciate the fact that you guys took the time to help me! THANKS!!!

:)

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.

Banner Artwork by Andrew Jones.