in

PainterFactory.com

how to create custom brushes?

Last post 02-05-2012 7:56 AM by Jinny Brown. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-25-2011 5:12 AM

how to create custom brushes?

Hello, Ive been trying to create a set of custom brushes, when try to save the variant of the brush, all it does is bring up a blank variant or a round brush, I tried going into my brush settings to check, but the brush image isn't shown at all. To also note, when using the brush I cannot draw anything. Also, I tried capturing the dab, still nothing. Usually, I would select the area and try; but, it would just create the same brush, or it would create a blank variant or dab; does the brush need to be in jpeg format(i have it in png)? help please

• 08-25-2011 7:27 PM In reply to

• tlb
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2011
    • Posts 269

Re: how to create custom brushes?

AlstonA:
    Ive been trying to create a set of custom brushes, when try to save the variant of the brush, all it does is bring up a blank variant or a round brush,

First, it would be helpful to know what OS you are using...

There is a bug in the Brushes > Save Variant process. After you enter the new brush name in the "Save As" field and click on the "OK" button, rather than either the original brush being active/selected or your newly named variant being active, Painter chooses a different brush as the active brush.

So...once you've entered the new brush name and clicked on the "OK" button, click on the Brush Selector bar's brush category icon to open the brush category drop down menu and scroll through the brush category and you should be able to find your newly saved brush--it's usually at the bottom of the list and highlight/click on it to make sure it has all of your changes...

I don't use captured dabs so I can't advise you on that...

Terrie

• 02-03-2012 2:59 AM In reply to

Hello, I am using Windows 7 OS and thank you for this. I tried using captured dab, but it never saves the selected image. 

• 02-03-2012 7:38 AM In reply to

Hi AlstonA,

You'll need to understand that Painter offers us many ways to create brush variants. Some, but not all, are Captured Dab variants. Others can vary hugely in the way they're created and in the ways they can be used once created.

I strongly suggest that you set aside some time to read and learn more about Painter's brush libraries, brush categories, and brush variants. Then, when you've put what you've learned to use and still have questions (which most people do), at least you'll have some understanding of the correct terminology and more precisely what you need help to accomplish.

For now:

1.  Use Help menu > Help Topics

2.  In the left panel, click the Search tab and type brushes then hit the Enter key. A list of titles will appear in the left panel.

3.  Click the first title, the one named Exploring Brush Categories. In the right panel, listed in alphabetical order, are the
         Painter 12 brush library's brush categories.

4.  Scroll down the right panel to see and read sample brush strokes for each brush category and a brief explanation of
         each brush category.

5.  Now, in the left panel, click the title named Setting Basic Brush Attributes. In the right panel, read the whole page.

6.  Continue clicking titles in the left panel and reading the information displayed in the right panel. Most of the titles should
         help you now and others are optional reading.

7.  Be sure to read as much as you can about the Brush Control palette's panels, especially the General panel as it contains
         the most basic controls for any brush variant.  Also take a few minutes to read the titles named:

• Selecting, Managing, and Creating Brushes

• Understanding Brushes

• Brush Management

• Creating Brush Dabs

NOTE:  When following the steps to create a brush dab (otherwise known as creating a Captured Dab variant),
    Do not hold down the Shift key while dragging the Rectangular Selection tool over the image
    . This will make Painter
    think you want to add to an existing selection and the Capture Dab command will be greyed out. Instead, simply
    drag the Rectangular Selection tool over the image to create a square-ish selection around the image.

I have not yet used these steps to create a Captured Dab variant myself so there may be other comments I might
    make to help you avoid problems. Until there's time for me to try it, I'll just wish you the best and expect it will probably go well.

8.  Unless you're going to be using brush variants from the following list of brush categories, you won't need to read the information now. However, if you decide later on that you want to use those brush variants or, as with the Impasto category, you plan to use brush variants from other categories that also use Impasto controls, you'll need to learn about Impasto and how to control it and use it. (Impasto, or thick paint, is used in several brush categories other than just the Impasto category.):

• Digital Watercolor

• Image Hose

• Impasto

• Liquid Ink

• Pattern Pens

• Real Watercolor

• Real Wet Oil

• Smart Stroke

• Watercolor

Even with what I've suggested in this post, and knowing it's just a start for you, it's still a lot of reading so don't let it overwhelm you. Just take it slowly and with repetition, practice, and time you'll find you've learned a lot.

Jinny

Welcome to The PainterFactory!

Jinny Brown
    PainterFactory Forum Moderator from July 2007, when the site opened, through March 2013

Visit PixelAlley.com for more about Corel Painter
  • 02-03-2012 11:15 AM In reply to

• David Gell
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • Nottinghamshire, England
    • Posts 363

AlstonA:

Hello, Ive been trying to create a set of custom brushes, when try to save the variant of the brush, all it does is bring up a blank variant or a round brush, I tried going into my brush settings to check, but the brush image isn't shown at all. To also note, when using the brush I cannot draw anything. Also, I tried capturing the dab, still nothing. Usually, I would select the area and try; but, it would just create the same brush, or it would create a blank variant or dab; does the brush need to be in jpeg format(i have it in png)? help please

Please see John Derry's tutorial

In case John doesn't mention it, if you want to use an existing captured dab variant as the 'pre-capture' starting point, always work from a copy of that variant, otherwise the original jpg dab image gets overwritten.

Also note that for any rotation settings to work, the Squeeze value has to be 99% or less.

There was a bug in earlier versions (which may still exist in 12) whereby the dab would not capture if we made a constrained square selection of the imagery for capture by holding down the Shift key whilst creating the selection. Do the selection without constraining in that case.

David 

• 02-04-2012 1:36 AM In reply to

David Gell:
    There was a bug in earlier versions (which may still exist in 12) whereby the dab would not capture if we made a constrained square selection of the imagery for capture by holding down the Shift key whilst creating the selection.

The bug seems to still be there in 12, David.

Elaina Moore-Kelly
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit/Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40 ghz/32.0GB DDR3 RAM/NVIDIA Quadro 600

DAA Instructor: Introduction to Painter
  • 02-05-2012 1:40 AM In reply to

Hi David,

If you read my post above, you'll see that I mentioned that in a NOTE:  .........

Tonight, seeing that both you and Elaina mentioned it, I went back and highlighted the pertinent text in dark read with a green underline.

So all three of us agree we need to avoid holding down the Shift key while dragging a Rectangular Selection around the image.

Thanks for confirming what I thought, Elaina.

Cheers!

Jinny Brown
    PainterFactory Forum Moderator from July 2007, when the site opened, through March 2013

• 02-05-2012 3:20 AM In reply to

Jinny Brown:

So all three of us agree we need to avoid holding down the Shift key while dragging a Rectangular Selection around the image.

Thanks for confirming what I thought, Elaina.

Jinny, I'm finding the function to save a captured dab to be very erratic in Painter 12.1 even if one is careful not to draw a constrained rectangle. I hope you will soon have time to test this out, perhaps you'll be able to either pinpoint the problem for me, or locate a possible bug. Personally, I hope it's only a user error on my part.

Elaina Moore-Kelly
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit/Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40 ghz/32.0GB DDR3 RAM/NVIDIA Quadro 600

DAA Instructor: Introduction to Painter
  • 02-05-2012 5:05 AM In reply to

I'll try to find some time, Elaina, but it won't be for a few days. Feel free to hound me if you want to. I'll appreciate the reminders.  ;o)

Jinny

Jinny Brown

• 02-05-2012 6:20 AM In reply to

• David Gell
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • Nottinghamshire, England
    • Posts 363

Jinny Brown:

Hi David,

If you read my post above, you'll see that I mentioned that in a NOTE:  .........

Tonight, seeing that both you and Elaina mentioned it, I went back and highlighted the pertinent text in dark read with a green underline.

So all three of us agree we need to avoid holding down the Shift key while dragging a Rectangular Selection around the image

Hi Jin,

My apologies for the duplication. I have to admit that I went into 'auto reply' mode without reading the existing replies.

David

• 02-05-2012 7:56 AM In reply to

David Gell:
    Hi Jin,

My apologies for the duplication. I have to admit that I went into 'auto reply' mode without reading the existing replies.

David

No apology needed, friend. I'm happy three of us reinforced the solution to one annoying problem that's left many a user baffled. I guess we have to keep on de-baffling them until Corel fixes it.

Maybe we should be called "de-bafflers", but first I'll need to get Painter 12.1 under my belt. It's a real mess when your computer dies just as a new Painter version's been released and you dont have access to a lot of things we usually take for granted. (Can't use my printer or scanner as the connections are ancient and don't work with my two new omputers... just for instance.)

I do have a new combinaton printer, scanner, copier but it's going to take some heavy lifting to set everything up downstairs. Did manage to get my new desktop computer upstairs, by myself, all the while huffing and puffing, scared to death I'd either drop the computer or trip and fall down the stairs, breaking both of us.  

Life is so exciting!

Jinny

Jinny Brown

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.

Banner Artwork by Don Seegmiller.