in

PainterFactory.com

Where do I put "free" Brushes in Painter 12?

Last post 12-17-2011 10:00 PM by tlb. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-15-2011 12:11 AM

Where do I put "free" Brushes in Painter 12?

I am confused about where to put "free" brushes in Painter 12.  In searching the forum I am seeing at least three suggestions:

1. Program Files\Corel\Painter 12\Brushes
    2. Program Files\Corel\Painter 12\Brushes\Painter 12 Brushes
    3. Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Corel\Painter 12\Brushes

(This is for Windows)

With Painter 11, I put them in 1., the reason being that things in the AppData folder get corrupted and have to be replaced.  This seems to be a more secure location.  2. Is not relevant for Painter 11, but seems to be mentioned in some articles dealing with painter 12.

I currently have these sets of brushes (in Program Files\Corel\Painter 12\Brushes):

Auto_Dab (From David Gell's Blog on Painter Factory)
    Evans (Mine from Painter 11)
    Painter 12 Brushes (Installed with Painter 12, show as Painter Brushes in the Brushes Library Panel)
    Painter Brushes (Installed with Painter 12, show as Painter 11 Brushes in the Brushes Library Panel)
    Suminagashi 2 (From David Gell's Blog on Painter Factory)
    Tablet Book brushes-Cher (From Cher's Tablet Book)

All show in the Brushes Library Panel.  When I choose Auto_Dab from the Brushes Library Panel | Brushes Library, it says it can't load an empty set and then Painter 12 crashes.  When I load Suminagashi 2, nothing seems to happen.  The others, including mine, seem to work as expected.  That is, they show in the Brushes Library Panel, are in the proper categories, and appear to work.

1. So, what is the correct thing to do (or what are the arguments for doing one thing or another)?
    2. Is there somethinhg wrong with the David Gell brushes?
    3. If so, can I fix it easily?  (I have tried deleting the workspace and restarting Painter 12.)

Thanks in advance.

• 12-15-2011 4:06 PM In reply to

• tlb
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2011
    • Posts 269

Re: Where do I put "free" Brushes in Painter 12?

Kenneth Evans:
    This seems to be a more secure location.  2. Is not relevant for Painter 11, but seems to be mentioned in some articles dealing with painter 12.

Might be that someone didn't reedit their instructions for Painter 12.

By putting brush category subfolders in Program Files\Corel\Painter 12\Brushes\Painter 12 Brushes, you are adding new brush categories to the default brush categories. To use Program Files\Corel\Painter 12\Brushes, you would want/need to create an intermediate subfolder and then put your brush categories in that new subfolder because, at the "\Brushes\" level, you would be creating a new brush library. You could, theoretically, just copy each brush category subfolder to "\Brushes\" but if you did it that way, each brush category would become a brush library and while that's perfectly "legal", it might get confusing so creating the intermediate subfolder to hold the brush categories, is a bit tidier...'-}}

Kenneth Evans:
    Painter 12 Brushes (Installed with Painter 12, show as Painter Brushes in the Brushes Library Panel)
    Painter Brushes (Installed with Painter 12, show as Painter 11 Brushes in the Brushes Library Panel)

Yeah...that's a design disconnect that makes things a bit confusing but that's the way Corel did it...

Kenneth Evans:
    When I choose Auto_Dab from the Brushes Library Panel | Brushes Library, it says it can't load an empty set and then Painter 12 crashes.

Are there actually brush items in this brush category in Program Files\Corel\Painter 12\Brushes\Painter 12 Brushes? If not, then you might delete the subfolder in both the installation/application area and the User area and then copy your backup brush category back into the installation/application area and try it again.

I'm guessing you have this same brush category in Painter 11. Does it work in Painter 11? Are there brush items in the brush category subfolder in Painter 11?

Kenneth Evans:
    When I load Suminagashi 2, nothing seems to happen. 

Is there an entry for the brush category in the Painter 12 User area?

Kenneth Evans:
    1. So, what is the correct thing to do (or what are the arguments for doing one thing or another)?

For Painter 12, copying the brush category to the installation/application area is the correct approach because there is a bug that rears its ugly head if you copy only to the User area and you have it exactly right about the possibility of losing your brush category/brushes if the User area gets corrupted. Also, by putting the brush category in the installation/application area, the brushes are then available to any other user on your system. For my custom brushes, I always copy newly saved custom variant(s) from the User area to my (appropriate) installation/application area brush category subfolder and to my master custom brushes backup folder after closing my Painter session for the day so that I don't lose those newly saved variant(s).

Kenneth Evans:
    Is there somethinhg wrong with the David Gell brushes?

Could be. If we can't solve the problem in this thread, you might post a new thread with a thread title something like "David Gell - Question about your brushes" so that David would be more likely to see it...

Hope that helps...

Terrie

• 12-15-2011 7:35 PM In reply to

Terrie,

First, I really appreciate your help.  You seem to have a good handle on things.

Second, I had the Suminagashi 2 brushes installed incorrectly.  I had the Folder with .nib .stk .xml .jpg files directly under Application\Brushes and it was missing the .jpg as well.  I fixed it, and it is working correctly now.  Sorry.

tlb:
    By putting brush category subfolders in Program Files\Corel\Painter 12\Brushes\Painter 12 Brushes, you are adding new brush categories to the default brush categories. To use Program Files\Corel\Painter 12\Brushes, you would want/need to create an intermediate subfolder and then put your brush categories in that new subfolder because, at the "\Brushes\" level, you would be creating a new brush library. You could, theoretically, just copy each brush category subfolder to "\Brushes\" but if you did it that way, each brush category would become a brush library and while that's perfectly "legal", it might get confusing so creating the intermediate subfolder to hold the brush categories, is a bit tidier...'-}}

This is my arrangement in more detail:

Application/Brushes/Tablet Book brushes-Cher
    .....Tablet Book airbrushes (Folder with .nib .stk .xml .jpg files)
    .....Tablet Book airbrushes.jpg
    .....etc. for the other categories

I think this is what you mean by inserting a subfolder.  In this case Tablet Book brushes-Cher appears as a Brush Library in the Brushes Library Panel.  It is all working OK this way except Auto_dab, which still crashes Painter 12.  So let me leave that out of the picture for now and perhaps follow your suggestion to make a new topic after I look at it more.

Since these are libraries, they can only be loaded by themselves, and I lose the default brushes.  I tried moving the Tablet Book brushes-Cher folder to Application\Brushes\Painter 12 Brushes so they would appear along with the defaults.  This didn't seem to work.  I don't see them.

So maybe I need some clarification.

I should say I am completely deleting my workspace from the User directory after each change for now.  This should replace it with the Default and read any new brush locations.

I have also taken your suggestion and made both an Original and Backup location somewhere apart from the User and Application folders.

Thanks for your help.

• 12-15-2011 11:55 PM In reply to

• tlb
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2011
    • Posts 269

Kenneth Evans:
    First, I really appreciate your help. 

You're welcome...'-}}

Kenneth Evans:
    Second, I had the Suminagashi 2 brushes installed incorrectly.  I had the Folder with .nib .stk .xml .jpg files directly under Application\Brushes and it was missing the .jpg as well.  I fixed it, and it is working correctly now.  Sorry.

No prob! I'm glad you got it figured out...

Kenneth Evans:
    I think this is what you mean by inserting a subfolder.  In this case Tablet Book brushes-Cher appears as a Brush Library in the Brushes Library Panel. 

Yeah...that's got it...

Kenneth Evans:
    Since these are libraries, they can only be loaded by themselves, and I lose the default brushes.

Yeah...that's the problem (at least for me) with putting brushes/brush categories in Application\Brushes\ . What I did was to move out the brush categories I don't use or rarely use from \Painter 12 Brushes\ into a separate folder and I have all the brush categories I use regularly in \Brushes\Painter 12 Brushes\ so I rarely, if ever, have to switch from brush library to brush library.

Kenneth Evans:
    I tried moving the Tablet Book brushes-Cher folder to Application\Brushes\Painter 12 Brushes so they would appear along with the defaults.  This didn't seem to work.  I don't see them.

I'm a little confused by the folder names you used but if I'm understanding it correctly, I think you are copying the wrong folder. You need to go down one level.

What you want to copy to Application\Brushes\Painter 12 Brushes\ is (given your layout described in your post) "Tablet Book Airbrushes" which is the actual brush category folder (I think)--it's really a subfolder since you are putting it in another folder but let's not get picky...'-}}

So after you copy "Tablet Book Airbrushes" folder, in Explorer (My Computer) you should see something like:

Brushes

Painter 12 Brushes

Airbrushes

Blenders

Chalk & Crayons

Tablet Book Airbrushes

You also need to copy "airbrushes.jpg" to  Application\Brushes\Painter 12 Brushes. "airbrushes.jpg" is the brush category jpg (what shows up in Painter's Brush Selector drop down menu to identify the brush category) and you should see other jpgs in the \Painter 12 Brushes folder which correspond to the other brush category folders

I've attached a screen shot (see below) to show you the setup in Explorer on my WinXP system--my guess is that you are running Win7 (Vista?) so the Explorer display is a bit different but I think you can get the idea.

Kenneth Evans:
    I should say I am completely deleting my workspace from the User directory after each change for now.  This should replace it with the Default and read any new brush locations.

That's not a bad idea although it's a bit drastic as all you should really need to do it to delete the appropriate folders/subfolders from the User area \Painter 12\Default\Brushes but, then again, Win7 is well...I find it annoying and odd, so it might be the best thing to keep doing what you are doing...'-}}

Kenneth Evans:
    I have also taken your suggestion and made both an Original and Backup location somewhere apart from the User and Application folders.

Oh yeah! Very good idea! As I noted, I have a master Painter backup folder outside of any Painter installation/application folder with a number of different subfolders 3 of which are my master custom brush categories--"tlbdwc" (contains custom Digital Watercolor brushes), "tlbrwc" (contains custom Real Watercolor brushes) and "tlbcustom" (contains odds and ends of custom brushes that are not DWC or RWC).

I am religious after closing Painter about copying new saved variants I might have created during the Painter session to the appropriate custom brush category in the installation/application area and to my master Painter backup--when I open Painter the next time, the new variants will be copied to the that custom brush category in the User area.

If the new saved variant was created/saved in either a Painter supplied brush category or a brush category I got from someone else, then after I've copied the new variant files (.stk, .nib, .xml and ,jpg if it exists) to my own brush category (whichever is appropriate) and the master backup, then I go to the User area and delete the new variant files from what was their "source" brush category. That leaves either the Painter supplied brush category or the brush category I got from someone else cleaner and neater and I know that I have all my own brushes in my own brush categories.

Kenneth Evans:
    Thanks for your help.

You're welcome...hope the above (and the attached screen shot) helps...let me know if you have more questions...

Terrie

• 12-16-2011 12:52 AM In reply to

Thanks, Terrie.

It looks like the remaining issue is getting the "free" brushes into the default brushes.  I submitted another topic on the Auto Dab World brushes as you suggested.

tlb:
    Kenneth Evans:
    Since these are libraries, they can only be loaded by themselves, and I lose the default brushes.

Yeah...that's the problem (at least for me) with putting brushes/brush categories in Application\Brushes\ . What I did was to move out the brush categories I don't use or rarely use from \Painter 12 Brushes\ into a separate folder and I have all the brush categories I use regularly in \Brushes\Painter 12 Brushes\ so I rarely, if ever, have to switch from brush library to brush library.

I guess I have been moving the brushes I do use into one of my libraries and using that.  Actually, I have not used Painter for some time.  I just got Painter 12 and am trying to get up-to-speed with it.

tlb:
    I'm a little confused by the folder names you used

Application/Brushes/Tablet Book brushes-Cher
    .....Tablet Book airbrushes (Folder with .nib .stk .xml .jpg files)
    .....Tablet Book airbrushes.jpg
    .....etc. for the other categories (one folder, one .jpg for each)

"Tablet Book brushes-Cher" is the folder name.  (It wasn't my idea to allow spaces in file names.) It has not just "Tablet Book airbrushes" but many others.  It is convenient to keep them grouped together in one folder ("Tablet Book brushes-Cher").  I understand what you are saying, but the downside of doing it that way is that the files get scattered all over the Painter 12 Brushes folder and are hard to manage if you do it that way.  Is there a way to keep the folder together (the way you would put it into a Zip file).

tlb:
    Kenneth Evans:

That's not a bad idea although it's a bit drastic as all you should really need to do it to delete the appropriate folders/subfolders from the User area \Painter 12\Default\Brushes but, then again, Win7 is well...I find it annoying and odd, so it might be the best thing to keep doing what you are doing...'-}}

It's easy enough to do.  One delete.  It gets me to the Default workspace.  The workspace I [intend to] use in real life is saved elsewhere.

• 12-16-2011 2:25 PM In reply to

• tlb
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2011
    • Posts 269

Kenneth Evans:
    "Tablet Book brushes-Cher" is the folder name.  (It wasn't my idea to allow spaces in file names.)

Yeah...I rarely if ever use spaces in any sort of file/folder name...I'm still a DOS girl at heart...'-}}

Kenneth Evans:
    It has not just "Tablet Book airbrushes" but many others.  It is convenient to keep them grouped together in one folder ("Tablet Book brushes-Cher").

Ahh! Ok...yeah...you would end up with them scattered hither and yon within Painter 12 Brushes. I don't think Painter (any version) will allow you to have what essentially are (sub)nested folders in Painter 12 Brushes (or any library for that matter)--basically, it seems to me that Cher intended that it be used as an individual brush library.

You could rename each brush category within "Tablet Book brushes-Cher"--I'd probably use a prefix...maybe "cher"--so that they'd be grouped together within the Painter12 Brushes folder. You can rename the brush category anything you'd like (well...within the constraints of the file/folder name rules). If you do rename the brush category, you must rename  the brush category jpg using the same name as the brush category folder name--there is a one to one correspondence.

I'd make a backup of the original before doing any renaming...actually, I'd create a working copy someplace outside of Painter, do the renaming, copy the newly renamed brush categories and jpgs to Painter 12 Brushes in the installation/application area and delete the entries in the User area and then open Painter.

Terrie

• 12-16-2011 3:09 PM In reply to

tlb:
    You could rename each brush category within "Tablet Book brushes-Cher"--I'd probably use a suffix...maybe "cher"--so that they'd be grouped together within the Painter12 Brushes folder. You can rename the brush category anything you'd like (well...within the constraints of the file/folder name rules). If you do rename the brush category, you must rename  the brush category jpg using the same name as the brush category folder name--there is a one to one correspondence.

I'd make a backup of the original before doing any renaming...actually, I'd create a working copy someplace outside of Painter, do the renaming, copy the newly renamed brush categories and jpgs to Painter 12 Brushes in the installation/application area and delete the entries in the User area and then open Painter.

Now that I have some understanding of how it works, I'll think about how best to implement it.  It seems to me that if I start all my own definitions with, say, KE, that they would then at least be alphabetically together.  I can rename Cher's to start with Cher.  Seems like a lot of hassle, though.  Painter needs to implement "append" (like Photoshop).  Photoshop also seems to allow directories to appear at any level in its equivalent of Brushes.

Again, thanks for your help.  It has been invaluable.

• 12-16-2011 5:37 PM In reply to

• tlb
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2011
    • Posts 269

Kenneth Evans:
    It seems to me that if I start all my own definitions with, say, KE, that they would then at least be alphabetically together.

Yeah...I use the prefix (just realized I've been typing "suffix"...duh!) "tlb" when naming any new variant and then the next bit is an attempt to identify the source brush category ("dwc" for digitial watercolor, "rwc" for real watercolor, etc.) although that is not always workable--I really like watercolor so most of my custom brushes are dwc or now, the new rwc--then I try and note the source brush if I can and then perhaps a number. For example: tlb-rwc-wetpencil1 (1st Real Watercolor Wet Pencil custom variant), tlb-rwc-rwbristle (Real Watercolor Real Wet Bristle custom variant), tlb-rwc-overglaze (a Real Watercolor custom variant that I use to overglaze).

Also, as I've noted, I have 3 custom brush categories and again, I use "tlb" as a prefix so the 3 brush categories are listed close to each other.

It's really a matter of attempting to keep some sort of organization keeping in mind that you may find a different approach in the future that's more workable.

Kenneth Evans:
    Seems like a lot of hassle, though.  Painter needs to implement "append" (like Photoshop).  Photoshop also seems to allow directories to appear at any level in its equivalent of Brushes.

Oh god NO!!! While Painter is in some ways (ok...in many, many ways...'-}}) more complicated in its file handling, it's also more flexible because you can decided how you want to organize your brushes--I have a terrible time in Photoshop finding my customized brushes although, to be honest, it might be that I don't use customized brushes in anywhere near the same way I use them in Painter.

My work always starts in Photoshop getting what will become my reference image in Painter set up so I can use it as a ref image--color correctlon, cropping, getting elements in place, etc.. Then I take that image into Painter to...well...paint--as I noted above, I like watercolor a lot and the new Real Watercolor brush category/brushes are fab. Once I'm happy with my Painter work, then I save the RIFF as a PSD and go back into Photoshop to do the final tweaks--play with the various layers in opacity and/or blend modes, do merge visibles (I always have tons of layers and I prefer Photoshop's layer handling to Painter's), etc.. I always print my images from Photoshop...

I've attached an example. The top image is my Photoshop tweaked reference image--scan of a slide I took in Japan and then tweaked in Photoshop--and the bottom image is my Painter work done using Painter 12's new Real Watecolor brushes customized--it's in Cher's new Painter Wow! book...'-}}

Kenneth Evans:
    Again, thanks for your help.  It has been invaluable.

You are most welcome...glad you found it useful...

Terrie

• 12-17-2011 8:56 PM In reply to

tlb:
    I've attached an example. The top image is my Photoshop tweaked reference image--scan of a slide I took in Japan and then tweaked in Photoshop--and the bottom image is my Painter work done using Painter 12's new Real Watecolor brushes customized--it's in Cher's new Painter Wow! book...'-}}

That's a great picture!  Better than Cher's pictures IMHO. I can't show you anything as good.

I spend most of my time messing with the programs, not doing art.  My trouble is that there are too many brushes and too many parameters for each one.  Too many options, too little time. It is well documented that people "lock up" when presented with too many choices.

To do a real watercolor (i.e. pigment on real paper) I use maybe 5 brushes, usually fewer.  It doesn't take long to figure out what they do and how the pigment reacts with the paper.

I have not had much success making watercolors in Painter.  The best results have been by drawing with Chalk and blending with Water, and I did that back with Painter Classic.  The problem for me is getting the colors to blend as they do for wet-in-wet in real life.  On the other hand, yours looks to be blended, though it's a little small to tell for sure.  I haven't tried the new Real Watercolors, yet.

I am about reaquainted with Painter.  Perhaps I should actually use it.

BTW brushes have come a long way in Photoshop CS5.  They are approaching those of Painter.  I have the same problem in Photoshop, though.

• 12-17-2011 10:00 PM In reply to

• tlb
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2011
    • Posts 269

Kenneth Evans:
    That's a great picture!  Better than Cher's pictures IMHO. I can't show you anything as good.

Thanks! That's kind of you to say...'-}}

Kenneth Evans:
    My trouble is that there are too many brushes and too many parameters for each one.  Too many options, too little time. It is well documented that people "lock up" when presented with too many choices.

Paralysis by analysis...sort of...'-}}

I do know what you mean though...I think the fact that I've always loved watercolor led me to play with Painter's wc brushes more. I never felt successful with them until Painter 6 and then of course, those lovely Painter 6 wc brushes disappeared with Painter 7 because of a rewriting of the code which could no longer support how the Painter 6 wc brushes worked. I really loathed those Painter 7 Watercolor brushes (still do...'-}}) so I was happy when Painter 8 came out with the Digital Watecolor brushes even though they didn't work like Painter 6's wc brushes, I found them more workable than the Watecolor brushes. With Painter 12, the new Real Watecolor brushes are just so cool. I think they are as good and perhaps better than the Painter 6 wc brushes.

Kenneth Evans:
    I have not had much success making watercolors in Painter.

It does take a lot of playing and there is often quite a bit of frustration. I've often wondered if my frustration might be due to never having painted with traditional watercolors so I have to sort of feel my way until I get something I like--I don't have any real training with traditional tools just a studio course when I was in college and we didn't do any watercolor. I don't know if not having worked with traditional tools is perhaps a plus because I have no expectations on how the tools should work and I just blithely go on my merry fumbling way...'-}}

Kenneth Evans:
    On the other hand, yours looks to be blended, though it's a little small to tell for sure. 

Send me a PM with your email addy and I'll email you a larger version...it's a small painting...just 5x7". Also, are aware that if you click on the image, it will open in a new window at its full saved size rather than the smaller forum posting size?

Kenneth Evans:
    I haven't tried the new Real Watercolors, yet.

I have really fallen in love with them and I would recommend you play with them...also take a look at Chris' blog entries as there is some useful info about working with the RWC brushes...

Kenneth Evans:
    I am about reaquainted with Painter.  Perhaps I should actually use it.

LOL!! It can be hard because you get dazzled by all the bells and whistles in software and never get around to actually using it. I find that setting myself a project helps a lot...

Kenneth Evans:
    BTW brushes have come a long way in Photoshop CS5.  They are approaching those of Painter.  I have the same problem in Photoshop, though.

Well...I'm still using Photoshop 7 because I was soooo pissed off at Adobe's Activation crap that I have refused to upgrade--yes...I know it's irrational but, every time I thought about upgrading, I'd get pissed off all over again and Photoshop 7 has continued to work for me doing photo restoration work, cleaning up slide scans, color correcting and basically all the stuff I've always done with photos...I know there a new cool tools in each new release of Photoshop but I just can't get past Activation...'-}}

I've attached another koi painting done using customized Real Watercolor brushes. Both the painting below and the one in my last post had probably 60-80 layers each by the time I was finished painting so if you don't use a lot of layers in Painter, try working on different areas by painting on new layers because it's an easy to to experiment without really screwing things up and sometimes, a layer I thought might end up being trashed turns out to be useful when reduced in opacity or by changing the blend mode or using only part of the painted layers--let's hear if for layer masks...'-}}--and I never, ever paint on the Canvas layer...

Terrie

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.

Banner Artwork by Andrew Jones.