in

PainterFactory.com

Wacom, Pens, Erasers and Damping

Last post 01-25-2012 9:19 AM by David Gell. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-20-2012 11:51 AM

Wacom, Pens, Erasers and Damping

Hi,

Been using Painter 12 now just about since it was released. I have updated the program to the 12.1 update and absolutely love the software...

However, one minor issue i find is that when using some brushes, if I flip my Intuos pen upside down to use the eraser, the pen Damping always reverts to 50% when I return to use the nib end of the pen no matter what I had it set to previously. I have found that it does not do this on the Pencil brushes.

Are there any settings that would overide this?

Im using Windows 7 32bit with a Wacom Intuos 4 running the latest drivers.

Any help would be appreciated!

Andy

Freelance Illustrator from the UK

www.andy-carolan.co.uk
    Filed under: , ,
  • 01-20-2012 3:59 PM In reply to

Re: Wacom, Pens, Erasers and Damping

Hi Andy,

I use damping on most of my brushes and I have noticed, even in P11, you may have to adjust the damping for the eraser seperately.

~John

No, no I never guess. It is a shocking habit - destructive to the logical faculty.
    ---Sherlock Holmes
  • 01-21-2012 7:43 AM In reply to

John, its actually when returning to the brush after using the eraser that the damping resets.

Brush... set to 100 damping

Flip pen over to use eraser

Flip pen back to use brush

Brush damping has reset to 50

Andy

www.andy-carolan.co.uk
  • 01-21-2012 10:48 AM In reply to

• Fes
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • UK
    • Posts 927

Sounds like a bug then.  I wonder if you save the brush as a new brush (not just alter the setting on the current brush) with damping set to 100 (so if you reset that new brush to default, 100 would be it's default), whether the eraser switch would affect it?

Win 7 64 bit, 24gb RAM, i7 x980 (6core), 2x GeForce GTX 460

Economy Notice:
    Due to recent budget cuts and the cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions and the continued decline of the economy, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.
  • 01-21-2012 8:05 PM In reply to

Andy,

I seem to remember that was a problem in P11 until it was fixed in SP1 for P11.

~John

No, no I never guess. It is a shocking habit - destructive to the logical faculty.
    ---Sherlock Holmes
  • 01-21-2012 9:11 PM In reply to

Andy,

I discovered a workaround for the dampening reset on the eraser. Instead of using the default eraser, I selected an eraser brush with the eraser end and set the dampening. When I go back to the pen end and make some strokes, then go to the eraser end it remembers the settings. It also remembers the size of the eraser.

~John

---Sherlock Holmes
  • 01-22-2012 10:57 AM In reply to

While this may be a bug it shows a big improvement over Painter X or Painter 11, in both of those versions fliping the Wacom stylus to use the eraser caused Painter to crash.
    Most of us adopted the habit of choosing the eraser tool or choosing one of the erasers from the brush panel instead, this may be why you are not getting many responses. For most of us not using the eraser end of the stylus has become habit.

Claudia

• 01-22-2012 1:14 PM In reply to

• David Gell
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • Nottinghamshire, England
    • Posts 363

It sounds like the SaveRestoreDamping flag is missing in the variant xml file selected after using the eraser.

This issue has been going on right from version 7, and needs to be eradicated once and for all in the Corel default brush libraries prior to public release;

Lifting the Dampers off SaveRestoreDamping

Restoring Missing Painter Variant xml dab-flags (Mac OSX Leopard)

David

• 01-22-2012 1:51 PM In reply to

Fes, I tried that, makes no difference... cheers for the input though :)

www.andy-carolan.co.uk
  • 01-22-2012 1:53 PM In reply to

John,

Thanks, I just tried that... much better but does not appear to remember the dampning independently... if I set it at 100 for the nib, then at 72 for the eraser, it then applies 72 to the nib end when flipped over.

Better than going back to 50 each time however, thanks :)

vapsman88:

Andy,

I discovered a workaround for the dampening reset on the eraser. Instead of using the default eraser, I selected an eraser brush with the eraser end and set the dampening. When I go back to the pen end and make some strokes, then go to the eraser end it remembers the settings. It also remembers the size of the eraser.

~John

www.andy-carolan.co.uk
  • 01-22-2012 1:56 PM In reply to

Claudia,

Its a shame as the facility is there, but obviously contains a bug of some kind :(

cpendlay:

While this may be a bug it shows a big improvement over Painter X or Painter 11, in both of those versions fliping the Wacom stylus to use the eraser caused Painter to crash.
    Most of us adopted the habit of choosing the eraser tool or choosing one of the erasers from the brush panel instead, this may be why you are not getting many responses. For most of us not using the eraser end of the stylus has become habit.

Claudia

www.andy-carolan.co.uk
  • 01-22-2012 2:08 PM In reply to

Thanks for the information David,

Think you are right about the damping, this problem isnt across all brushes, just certain ones. "Pens" for example.

David Gell:

It sounds like the SaveRestoreDamping flag is missing in the variant xml file selected after using the eraser.

This issue has been going on right from version 7, and needs to be eradicated once and for all in the Corel default brush libraries prior to public release;

Lifting the Dampers off SaveRestoreDamping

Restoring Missing Painter Variant xml dab-flags (Mac OSX Leopard)

David

www.andy-carolan.co.uk
  • 01-22-2012 4:58 PM In reply to

• David Gell
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • Posts 363

The following brush libraries have been modified from the Painter 12 default libraries. The SaveRestoreDamping and SaveRestoreMouseParams dab flags have been re-instated where they have been previously missing in the xml. No other changes have been made.

I have added a _mod suffix to each library to differentiate.

To install the libraries in Painter 12/12.1 after unzipping, place each library folder (with contents) at the top level of the Painter 12 application folder > Brushes folder then relaunch/restart Painter. The respective libraries can then be loaded via. the Brush Selector flyout menu.

All previous problems with Painter not remembering non-default Damping settings on a number of the variants should now be a thing of the past. Any custom variants created from the modified variants should not contain missing dab flags, so the issue will no longer be viral.

Downloads;

Painter_Brushes_mod.zip

Painter_12_Brushes_mod.zip

David

Filed under:
  • 01-22-2012 5:26 PM In reply to

Many thanks David, thats awesome! I will give them a go!

Thanks again! :)

www.andy-carolan.co.uk
  • 01-22-2012 6:09 PM In reply to

• David Gell
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • Posts 363

AndyCarolan:

Many thanks David, thats awesome! I will give them a go!

Thanks again! :)

No problem Andy. Luckily I was able to automate the process.

Below is a link to modified Painter 12 Extra Content Brush libraries. There were 377 variants in these libraries which did not originally have a SaveRestoreDamping flag;

Extra_Content_Brushes_mod.zip

Note that the unzipped enclosing folder (Extra_Content_Brushes_mod) for the above download is not  a brush library folder. The actual brush libraries are containted at the top level of this folder (eg. Calligraphy Brushes, Effects 1 etc.). I have only added the _mod suffix to the enclosing folder name, so although modified, the brush libraries this contains all have the same names as the originals.

I have not checked/done anything with any variants which are in the Painter 12 custom workspaces.

David 

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.

Banner Artwork by Don Seegmiller.