in

PainterFactory.com

[SOLVED] Corel Painter 11 and Wacom Intuos 5 Touch

Last post 09-21-2012 10:19 AM by Stephen. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-17-2012 3:37 AM

[SOLVED] Corel Painter 11 and Wacom Intuos 5 Touch

Hello,

I have just purchased Wacom Intuos 5 M tablet and it really surprised me: canvas rotation in Corel Painter 11 doesn't work. It doesn't matter whether I use TouchRing rotate function or the touch gesture - it seems that the application is getting some messages, but it doesn't seem to understand them properly: instead of rotating the canvas, I get rapidly blinking (as in: on/off/on/off) color picker.

I suppose this has nothing to do with the tablet itself (the function works properly in ArtRage Studio Pro and in Autodesk Sketchbook Pro 6 trial), maybe it's the driver or application configuration - but I was hoping somebody else came across this issue and solved it somehow.

My system specs:

• Windows 7 Ultimate x64,
    • Painter 11 updated to latest version,
    • Intuos 5 M Touch + Grip Pen,
    • driver version: 6.33-4 Multilingual

I have filed support request on Corel website, but they were (sad to say, but to no surprise) utterly useless - told me to reset my workspace. Obviously, it has not solved the issue. Some other user (on Wacom forum) suggested that it's just Corel policy to enforce upgrade with minor annoyances and lack of support for the not-the-latest version. As I hate this kind of conspiracy theories - in this case it does have some truth in it, it's really difficult to understand why function that worked perfectly with Intuos4 stops working with Intuos5 and Corel is suddenly incapable of providing proper patch.

So: has anyone tried using Intuos5 Touch with Corel Painter 11 and managed to get the canvas rotation to work? If yes, then how?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Best regards,
    Dawid Buchwald

[SOLVED] - As it turns out (for details see the discussion below) the functionality DOES NOT work and WILL NOT work, so the only option is to upgrade or keep using the standard Painter 11 tools.

• 09-18-2012 10:36 AM In reply to

• Serge
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-01-2012
    • Posts 6

Re: Corel Painter 11 and Wacom Intuos 5 Touch

I just tried it and seem to have the same issue. zoom seems to work ok, and panning, but rotation doesn't work.

Same setup as far as I can tell

Win 7 64

Painter 11 SP!

intuos 5 with the latest driver, 6.3.3-4

• 09-19-2012 10:08 AM In reply to

Hi Dawid,

You are correct, the Intuos 5 rotate does not work in Painter 11. I just spent a few minutes with the development team to see if I could create a work-around for you, but there is neither the code path in 11 nor the customizability of rotate in the Wacom driver to connect the two.

Regards,

Steve

• 09-19-2012 10:40 AM In reply to

Thank you sooooooo much for your answer, it's finally something solid, something that lets me conclude my research and stop looking further.

I really, really appreciate the honesty :)

Best regards,

Dawid Buchwald

• 09-20-2012 9:56 AM In reply to

Sure Dawid, glad it help finalize things for you.

I was really hoping for a work-around so you could enjoy the Intuos 5 with 11...it's a great tablet. We're a very modestly-sized team here so in some cases we aren't able to connect new technologies to previous releases.

While I've got you here, can you tell me how you use the rotate in your workflow? In some of the other illustrators I've seen using rotate, the 'default' touch rotate from the Wacom driver was neither fast enough nor precise enough, and that the "r" shortcut and a pivot of the stylus was more efficient--something still nicely supported by P11...

• 09-21-2012 2:00 AM In reply to

Indeed, that's how I do it, select the rotation tool and use pen - and you are correct, this is much more precise, but simply less natural.

What I'm planning to do during the weekend (digital art is not my job, it's just a hobby) is to check the tablet driver/painter configuration options to see of there is any other way to set it up. You know, just to see what else can be done :) 

• 09-21-2012 10:19 AM In reply to

Thanks Dawid, let us know if you find a work-around.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.

Banner Artwork by Don Seegmiller.