in

PainterFactory.com

Painter 12 bug - Serious corruption when using the Lasso tool

Last post 02-07-2014 2:52 AM by HotHead. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-26-2012 9:19 PM

Painter 12 bug - Serious corruption when using the Lasso tool

Hello everyone.

I'm running Windows 7 and my OS is 12.2.0.703.

I keep having a strange bug corrupt the image that I'm working with. if I use my laso tool to select more than one area at a time with the shift comand, the whole image takes on a pixelated almost scrambled look.  this effects all layers and delets sections in large square chunks of the original line work and any color layers under it.

Has anyone experianced this particular bug yet?  This is the 3rd time it's happend to me. I just upgraded from Painter 9 (which i HATED to do) and I really do like 12...but I can't seem to get any work done without fear of this happening.

Any help at all would be awesome.

Filed under: , , , ,
  • 10-26-2012 9:51 PM In reply to

Re: Painter 12 bug - Serious corruption when using the Lasso tool

Hi Amelie,

You'll note that I've altered your Subject line to make it easier for the Corel Painter development team, and other Painter users to quickly identify the kind of problem you're reporting.

It will also help if you edit your initial post to add a line at the top telling us what OS version number you're currently using along with the full Painter 12 version number which you'll find on the left side of the Help menu > About Painter window (for instance, mine is 12.2.0.703).

Thanks,

Jinny

Welcome to The PainterFactory!

Jinny Brown
    PainterFactory Forum Moderator from July 2007, when the site opened, through March 2013

Visit PixelAlley.com for more about Corel Painter
  • 10-26-2012 10:23 PM In reply to

Thank you Jinny.

The version I'm using is 12.2.0.703.  

• 10-27-2012 2:20 AM In reply to

Hi Amelie,

You'll need to edit your initial post again to add these two lines (except with the appropriate information) at the top before your message begins so it's easy for the Corel Painter developers and other users to quickly learn what kind of problem you're having, on which OS version, and in which Painter version:

OS (operating system) version name and number. For instance, Windows 7 64 bit or whichever Mac version you're using.

Painter version is 12.2.0.703

Thanks for supplying your Painter version number.

Jinny

Welcome to The PainterFactory!

Jinny Brown
    PainterFactory Forum Moderator from July 2007, when the site opened, through March 2013

Visit PixelAlley.com for more about Corel Painter
  • 10-27-2012 3:17 AM In reply to

Amelie Belcher:

Hello everyone.

I keep having a strange bug corrupt the image that I'm working with. if I use my laso tool to select more than one area at a time with the shift comand, the whole image takes on a pixelated almost scrambled look.  this effects all layers and delets sections in large square chunks of the original line work and any color layers under it.

Has anyone experianced this particular bug yet?  This is the 3rd time it's happend to me. I just upgraded from Painter 9 (which i HATED to do) and I really do like 12...but I can't seem to get any work done without fear of this happening.

Any help at all would be awesome.

OS 12.2.0.703

this (or a similar) issue has been noted here a few times. with recent 2 or 3 painter versions, selection tools are really buggy and unreliable.

some users tend to experience crashes/image corruption more than others.

if you can substitute selections with channels (pretty much like painting a selection on a separate alpha-channel with basic painter brushes, and using menu commands to create a selection from them), you'll probably lose less work than you do right now.

By the way, I believe painter IX.5 is working finely on windows 7?

Filed under:
  • 10-27-2012 1:44 PM In reply to

ipetcats:

REALLY? If this is ture I am over the moon with happines. Painter IX may have been an older program, but I loved it.  Long story short, I need to be able to produce large quantitys of work VERY quickly, and IX got that done for me. 12?....well....if It would stop eating my work, we MIGHT be able to get along.

• 10-27-2012 6:12 PM In reply to

• Fes
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • UK
    • Posts 927

Painter IX.5 will work fine, as long as you've got no more then 8GB installed (it'll come up with an error if you do - Painter had a memory limit before v11).  But there is a third party work around if you have more RAM than that installed (try at your own risk... tho I have done it with no probs before).  If you're still on win 32bit you'll have no probs (as you'll only have a max of 4gb installed).

Win 7 64 bit, 24gb RAM, i7 x980 (6core), 2x GeForce GTX 460

Economy Notice:
    Due to recent budget cuts and the cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions and the continued decline of the economy, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.
  • 10-28-2012 2:18 AM In reply to

Amelie Belcher:

ipetcats:

REALLY? If this is ture I am over the moon with happines. Painter IX may have been an older program, but I loved it.  Long story short, I need to be able to produce large quantitys of work VERY quickly, and IX got that done for me. 12?....well....if It would stop eating my work, we MIGHT be able to get along.

Give it a try! I'm not sure which exactly win7 version you have, but windows 7 professional should have a windows xp virtual machine (right click on the application icon, locate "compatibility mode" or something like that, and see it it has windows xp listed) that solves most of possible compatibility woes if they happen.

it should extend painter 9's lifespan quite noticeably.

• 11-11-2012 6:03 AM In reply to

Well, I've been able to install Painter 9 on windows xp virtual machine on my PC...but I'm not liking it as well as when i ran it on my old vista computer.

I've been trying to give Painter 12 try after try, yet the same problem is popping up again and again.

At this point, I am very much feeling like a fool for purchasing the newest Painter.  The bug that is destroying any and all work that is open (weather it is the image I'm actually working with or not) has literally cost me weeks of time...and as we all know, time is money.

I travel all over the USA as a guest artist of conventions and I give demos of how to digitally paint and draw. For YEARS I have been a Painter only girl...but I'm ready to give up.

Frustrated is an understatement.

Is there ANY word on a fix any time soon?

• 11-11-2012 6:35 AM In reply to

• JoeC
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-01-2009
    • Factory Moderator
    • Posts 1,579

The lasso is known to be a bit buggy (doesn't complete the selection, freezes) but I don't think I've heard of it corrupting files in the way you described initially - very strange. Use channels in the meantime instead of the lasso, as ipetcats suggested.

Personally, I've given up on the lasso and take my file into Photoshop to make selections but if I had to use Painter I'd use channels.

• 11-11-2012 7:15 AM In reply to

Amelie Belcher:

Well, I've been able to install Painter 9 on windows xp virtual machine on my PC...but I'm not liking it as well as when i ran it on my old vista computer.

Can you please elaborate on the virtual machine part? Did you have issues installing painter IX.5 natively?

Or do you mean the under the hood virtual machine, that is used by windows 7 for windows xp compatibility mode?

I've been trying to give Painter 12 try after try, yet the same problem is popping up again and again.

At this point, I am very much feeling like a fool for purchasing the newest Painter.  The bug that is destroying any and all work that is open (weather it is the image I'm actually working with or not) has literally cost me weeks of time...and as we all know, time is money.

I travel all over the USA as a guest artist of conventions and I give demos of how to digitally paint and draw. For YEARS I have been a Painter only girl...but I'm ready to give up.

Frustrated is an understatement.

Is there ANY word on a fix any time soon?

There's a painter 12.3 update promised some time ago, but no release timeframe has been given.

Nothing on lasso tool bugfixing's been announced either, though.

To be honest,  I'd very much prefer to see painter IX.5 updated and re-released for new systems (windows 8 and intel-only mac os) as well, but I don't think it will happen.

• 11-11-2012 7:27 AM In reply to

Painter IX (not IX.5) would not work with windows 7, so i made the purchase of windows 7 pro just for the virtual machine capability. It took some real playing with, and I had to change the virtual xp color settings, but in a few hours I was able to launch and run 9 with no problems. The only issue I'm really having is a) It's running xp...and wow...that was a LONG time ago, and b.) my wacom is a bit laggy.  

Thing is, even with a lagging wacom issue, I haven't lost any work yet. In fact, I'm getting work done which is more than I can say for 12.

And YES, oh gosh yes...IX.5 re-released for new syestems?  I'd be so happy.

• 02-07-2014 2:52 AM In reply to

• HotHead
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-02-2012
    • Russia, Moscow
    • Posts 3

I've recovered what it was!

To get Lasso toll work - just disable Adobe Acrobat Update service and engoy your Lasso tool ;)

... no ... unfortunately i've recovered, what lasso work fine until 1st application switch on to another app or desktop - i mean before 1st change active window of the Painter to inactive....

eahhhh :(((( it was so close...

but if reopen Painter X3 it works again, untill window changes to inactive :)

also i found what after what you have only 5 seconds in order to do each lasso selection ...

Painter X3
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.

Banner Artwork by Don Seegmiller.