in

PainterFactory.com

Corel Painter 12 color set and papers issues on iMAC OSX Lion

Last post 02-27-2013 10:01 AM by PierluigiAbbondanza. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-29-2012 7:30 AM

Corel Painter 12 color set and papers issues on iMAC OSX Lion

Hi everyone, I'm using Painter12 since day one it was released and I'm keeping it updated (now it's version12.2) and the same is for the iMac that is hosting it, which has OSX Lion installed and update to the latest version.

Yesterday I tried to create a new color set from an image and Painter started not repsonding, and after 5 minutes of waiting I saw that the program returned normal and I was able to use it again with the new color set. I hten tried to add a new one and again it took over 5 minutes to do that. Since I have the same set on my MacBookPro I tried there and the color set were created in few seconds, so I assumed that the problem was the workspace of Painter which can have been corrupted so I reset it.

After the reset everyting was fine and the color set were created faster but then I started doing my personalizations to the workspace and after I added two legacy papers to the paper library the problem of the slowness in creating new color sets did arise again.

Apart from this big problem a new problem even bigger is occourring since that time: while I'm painting with no reasons the level of luminosity of the painting changes by itself becoming higher! I just select a brush, or a paper, or create a new layere and bump! The luminosity of the painting increase by itself and the contrast goes down!!!

This happenes 5 times in 25 minutes of painting and it's causing me a lot of troubles.

Does anyone know how to solve this two severe issues?

Here's a little video (200Kb) I did in order to let you understand the problem. You'll see that between second 0:04 and 0:05 the image become brighter without reason :(

http://www.abboart.com/Z-BOS/DB.mov

Thank you very much.

Pierluigi Abbondanza
    Online Portfolio - http://www.abboart.com
  • 10-29-2012 1:42 PM In reply to

Re: Corel Painter 12 color set and papers issues on iMAC OSX Lion

I can't help you on color sets; I remember they were a pain to work with in painter 12.0 on mac, so I just gave up.

On the luminance changes - open brush creator (cmd+b), look up "impasto" tab and make sure you don't have any variables containing "depth" set there.

if you haven't saves your image as a psd or any other format, you can go under canvas menu tab, I think, and both hide and/or delete impasto data.

Remember that if you save your document as psd with impasto turned on, it gets baked into image, essentially ruining colors for the document. if you hide it and save, it gets destroyed as soon as you close the working file.

If you save your working document as riff, impasto data remains editable and non-destroying to image, and you'll be able to edit/hide it anytime.

• 11-05-2012 5:34 PM In reply to

Thank you very much for your reply! As you said from the canvas menu I'm able to hide impasto preventing it from ruin my work. Anyway I don't have depth mode set on the impasto tab in the brush creator, in fact it's set on color. Do you know why this has started to happen and now it does continuously while before the reset of the workspace this didn't happen? It's a very annoying problem.... Thank you again!

Pierluigi Abbondanza
  • 11-05-2012 6:08 PM In reply to

Hi,

So my memory didn't fail me completely, PierluigiAbbondanza. You did post here. Good to see you again.

I just did a little testing using some of the Impasto variants both before and after I went to the Brushes menu and chose Restore All Variants.

Still, one of the brush variants behaved oddly. It was set to Color but displayed depth in the brush stroke.

Again, I used Brushes menu > Restore All Variants and now, while set to Color painted without depth.

I think it's time to move this thread to the Got a Question/Technical Issue/Bug Report for the Painter Team? forum. There, the Corel Painter developers have a better chance of seeing it.

Jinny

Welcome to The PainterFactory!

Jinny Brown
    PainterFactory Forum Moderator from July 2007, when the site opened, through March 2013

Visit PixelAlley.com for more about Corel Painter
  • 11-06-2012 12:37 AM In reply to

PierluigiAbbondanza:

Thank you very much for your reply! As you said from the canvas menu I'm able to hide impasto preventing it from ruin my work. Anyway I don't have depth mode set on the impasto tab in the brush creator, in fact it's set on color. Do you know why this has started to happen and now it does continuously while before the reset of the workspace this didn't happen? It's a very annoying problem.... Thank you again!

I can only assume that the default workspace itself can get corrupted (had an ongoing issue with paint bucket tool that reoccured after a complete factory reset), but I'm not really sure! :(

I hope this bug gets caught and fixed with future updates.

Filed under:
  • 11-09-2012 1:08 PM In reply to

• Fes
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • UK
    • Posts 919

Yup the default can get corrupted too.

Win 7 64 bit, 24gb RAM, i7 x980 (6core), 2x GeForce GTX 460

Economy Notice:
    Due to recent budget cuts and the cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions and the continued decline of the economy, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.
  • 12-12-2012 12:03 PM In reply to

Thank you Jinny,

I've just did a complete uninstall and then I did a new installation of Painter 12, updated it to the last available version and the problem is still occouring. The very strange fact is that for more than a yer everything worked without any problems...

I'm really pissed off because it's not possible to hide the impasto everytime I change a brush or I create a new layer, plus there's the problem that if I won't hide it before saving the .PSD file I'll completely lost my tones on the panting. I'm seriously thinking of switching to Photoshop completely and leaving Painter forever, after 6 years of work work with it.

I hope the Painter's technicians will look ath this problem...

I'also thinking of upgrading to Mountain Lion to see if the problem will be solved by this upgrade... anyone has experiences in this sense?

Pierluigi Abbondanza
  • 12-12-2012 7:14 PM In reply to

don't upgrade to mountain lion... current wacom drivers for ML are quite painful to work with

you need to do a clean install because there're chances painter's default workspace is not being removed/resetted between re-installations

I hope someone from corel can provide the necessary steps here (I remember they had an external knowledgebase link somewhere, but I can't find it right now)

• 12-13-2012 6:56 AM In reply to

The update to ML was my last chance.... :(

Is there a possibility to turn down definitively the impasto setting for each brush at once? I controlled all my brushes and noone has the impast setting set to depth but there should be something invisible which is happening...

Another question: why when I select the real soft eraser the layer blending methid automatically change to "gel" and never come back to the "default" by itself? Is this normal?

Pierluigi Abbondanza
  • 12-13-2012 8:43 AM In reply to

PierluigiAbbondanza:

The update to ML was my last chance.... :(

There should be some workaround I hope (and I hope someone from corel replies here too); upgrading to ML would only add more issues at this point. I'm personally staying with snow leopard and don't plan to update it on current hardware (too much issues tbh)

Is there a possibility to turn down definitively the impasto setting for each brush at once?

nope, unless we're talking about mass-editing all brush xml files with some 3rd party application which I can't help with at all.

Another question: why when I select the real soft eraser the layer blending methid automatically change to "gel" and never come back to the "default" by itself? Is this normal?

it's a painter 12 bug, and it's not actually switching layer mode to gel, just UI acting out.

(it actually goes back to whatever layer mode I had before using eraser when I click back and forth between layers... at least on my machine)

• 02-01-2013 3:07 AM In reply to

I've just installed the latest patch (12.2.1.1212) but the impasto problem is still on! :(

I've not reset the workspace after the patch, do you think resetting it can help?

Do you know a way to set a keyboard shortcut to do the action "hide impasto"? It's very annoing to go on the menù list everytime to do that action which happens so frequently....

Thank you for your support so far.

Pierluigi Abbondanza
  • 02-01-2013 5:05 AM In reply to

on the custom shorcut - yep, it's absolutely possible, go under corel painter 12 -> preferences -> keyboard shortcuts

one thing to remember is back up your shortcuts after you've tweaked them, because apparently they are not kept between workspace exports/imports (but it might be my system acting out, I haven't seen anyone else complaining about that)

I believe workspace resets are absolutely necessary after updating painter, but your case seems to be pretty complicated. At least give it a try.

• 02-05-2013 2:14 PM In reply to

• Fes
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • UK
    • Posts 919

ipetcats:

one thing to remember is back up your shortcuts after you've tweaked them, because apparently they are not kept between workspace exports/imports (but it might be my system acting out, I haven't seen anyone else complaining about that)

They don't save for me with a workspace.  I always have to reload my saved keyboard shortcuts.

Win 7 64 bit, 24gb RAM, i7 x980 (6core), 2x GeForce GTX 460

Economy Notice:
    Due to recent budget cuts and the cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions and the continued decline of the economy, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.
  • 02-27-2013 10:01 AM In reply to

I've solved the problem in the following way:

I've reset the workspace (which I already did before) and insead of importing custom brushes I did in Corel Painter X, this time I've recreated them inside Painter 12.

I've worked with it for a full night and the "show impasto" nightmare never appeared! I think the problem is solved now.

I've also imported legacy papers and this didn't cause any issue.

The strange thing is that I did use the legacy brushes created in painter X for more than a year without any issue and from a certain point the issue has appeared (without having updated Painter 12 or the MacOS) and even with the reinstallation of it, the delete of the user's library on the Mac and the reset of the workspace it continuously came out until yesterday.

Now I can use Painter again :)

Hope this'll help.

Cheers

Pierluigi

Pierluigi Abbondanza
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.

Banner Artwork by Don Seegmiller.