in

PainterFactory.com

Keeping Painter Running Smoothly on a Laptop

Last post 11-06-2012 10:36 AM by HarveyMcToots. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-03-2012 11:06 PM

Keeping Painter Running Smoothly on a Laptop

Hello all! I've had a Windows Laptop with a 2 gig process or and 4 gigs of ram for about 4 years, and everything runs great except for Painter. I use Painter 6 with the Out of Tiles fix and Painter X. After the program has been open for about 5 minutes, the fan kicks on full blast and stays on. Since I'm worried this will burn up my laptop, I make sure to close the program after 30 min - 1 hour.

Even though I've halved the memory, nixed some undos, and stripped my OS to the bare bones, nothing seems to solve the issue. Funny thing is, Painter isn't remotely being a greedy piglet when it comes to system resources. Painter is the only program I have this issue with. 600 dpi files in Photoshop CS4 run smoothly. 200 page books in InDesign 5 with high quality turned on are a breeze.

So is there a way I can limit Painter? It wasn't a hog on my old Win98 or XP systems, and it seems strange it would be on newer hardware. Any help would be appreciated. I'm eager to get back into the swing of things and I'm seriously worried operating it this way will cause some serious wear and tear.

• 11-04-2012 12:39 PM In reply to

• Fes
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • UK
    • Posts 931

Re: Keeping Painter Running Smoothly on a Laptop

Not sure I can really help, but have you tried running them in Compatability mode for XP sp3?

Win 7 64 bit, 24gb RAM, i7 x980 (6core), 2x GeForce GTX 460

Economy Notice:
    Due to recent budget cuts and the cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions and the continued decline of the economy, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.
  • 11-04-2012 2:39 PM In reply to

Sure have, but unfortunately it doesn't make a difference.

• 11-04-2012 2:54 PM In reply to

• JoeC
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-01-2009
    • Factory Moderator
    • Posts 1,582

I remember my Painter X running fine. Only when I upgraded to 11 did I experience the horrible whirring fan issue you described. I really couldn't bear to work with it so I continued with X. A couple of patches and several months later it seemed to have been fixed. Painter 12 seems to be relatively free of it, although I have heard of some people still getting it.

This is of no help to you of course. Have you installed all the appropriate patches for X?

• 11-04-2012 6:43 PM In reply to

I have not! Thanks, I'll be sure to check out the patches and see if helps X. While I prefer X's interface, watercolor makes me stick to 6.

Today I kept the task manager running to track the usage. Memory doesn't go above 34% with CPU usage in the single and barely double digits. The fan shouldn't be kicking on like that at all. Because I'm old, I remember back in the 90s we used to allocate memory on Macs for better performance on Photoshop and Painter. Is that possible on PC...only allocating less?

• 11-05-2012 1:46 AM In reply to

I'm not sure you can manually allocate ram (but I know for sure that painter pre-12 can not even use over 2 GB at any given time), but what you can do is try CPU allocation;

run task manager, select painter process in question, and somewhere somewhere you should have cpu assignment table;

see these 2 posts for more information:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?223188-If-your-painter-12-brushes-move-too-slow

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?198091-Painter-12-development/page4&p=3074984#post3074984 - I can't open the link in the post right now though, either site is down, or the program is no more developed.

• 11-05-2012 7:33 PM In reply to

Awesome tip, thanks a ton, but unfortunately didn't work. Have two cores, CPU0 and CPU1, set it to 0 and didn't affect it. Also messed around with the priority, both low and high, and nothin'. Experienced absolutely no change in overall performance either! At this point, I guess it's just the nature of the program.

• 11-06-2012 12:35 AM In reply to

I wonder if it could be painter interferring with some other background software...

because I remember 6 as being probably the fastest painter version to date, and, at least on my old desktop PC, it never causes cpu craziness.

10 was good too (cpu spikes started with 11 and painter 12 can cause them too...)

• 11-06-2012 10:36 AM In reply to

If you'd like, could post a shot of the task manager. When I'm working in Painter, I nix everything that's not essential. Recently killed a ton of unneeded processes and services. Even turn off my anti virus and nix the internets. Painter doesn't go over 312k, but that shouldn't be an issue since I'll have Photoshop, InDesign, Firefox, and Skype all running, wich add up to more and rarely kicks on the fan. Way back when, in order to get my old tablet to work, it also used some Windows tablet pc driver, but updated to the latest version and Wacom's software is the only stuff that runs now.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.

Banner Artwork by Don Seegmiller.