is the stabilizer called damping?

 I'm just use to stabilizers being called stabilizer so I wanted to be sure that's it?


  • Hi 2hlines,

    Am I correct that you are on Painter 2021 or older? If so then yes, for most (but not all brushes) Damping can be a good option to make a smoother stroke. A good example brush is the "Scratchboard Tool".

    In Painter 2022, there is even more smoothing/stabilizing, and the control is called "Stabilization". There is also 'jitter reduction'. So if you haven't checked out Painter 2022 yet, it may be worth giving the trial and quick spin to see if you find the new smoothing options even better.