I have Surface Pro 7 with Windows 10 Pro November 2019 update, and all the drivers are up-to-date (Reinstalled them from here to make sure: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=100419)
Surface Pen Pressure Sensitivity does not work on Corel Painter 2018, here are some observations:
1. Pressure sensitivity works well in Microsoft Whiteboard and also Concepts 3rd party app, so it's not a hardware issue.
2. Setting Painter "Tablet Options" to "Wacom-compatible Device (Wintab)" results in neither pressure sensitivity, nor pen tilt detection.
3. Setting Painter "Tablet Options" to "RTS-compatible device..." results in weird broken lines with no pressure or tilt detection.
4. I Have installed wacom latest driver (honestly doesn't make sense to me, but was recommended on some other forums), and still it's not working...
Any solution is hugely appreciated! :-)
Question--when you changed your tablet options, did you close and re-launch Painter? If not, can you try this? I would recommend trying both settings with re-launches in between.
I have also seen pressure start working again after a system reboot, if system updates have occurred. Bit of a long shot, but worth trying as it might get you up and painting with your nice new system!
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have restarted Painter, and Windows many times. I have tried all the obvious solutions, still its not working. Pressure sensitivity is working fine on other applications (including Corel Photo-Paint). I also purchased Corel Painter 2020, and the same problem exists there too.
Surface Pro 7 just released in last October, so I cannot see many articles out there about it. I found one other guy having the same exact problem.
1. Since I just installed Corel Painter, I thought that won't help, but still I reset it and nothing changed.
2. Yes, I updated to the latest, and the problem exists.
3. I don't think there is such a setting. I might be wrong, but I guess a pen firmware is implemented using either Wintab driver or RTS, it's not something a user can choose. BTW, I submitted a ticket to Corel support and initially they sent a reply for Surface Pro 2, and then stopped responding to my follow-up email! This is shameful.
I would say the best way to troubleshoot this is a Corel technician tries this config him/herself and figure out a solution, but Corel customer service is not helpful here! Well, I'm going to return the Painter 2020, and for now will switch to other apps.
Anyway, thank you very much for putting time on this.
Painter's troubles with Tablets & pen is abysmal. Tablets & pen can work fine in all other programs, but whether Wacom or RTS Painter can cause usability issues.
You could post your question here- maybe find help.
Hi Ron, thanks for your reply. Yeah, it seems that's the case, and it is sad!
Thank you for the report. We were able to reproduce the issues you reported and we are investigating.
Will keep you posted on our findings.
Thank you again,
Any update on this? A Jira ticket that can be tracked or the like? I just installed Painter 2020 on my Surface Pro 7 and it has the same issue - no tilt or pressure working.
In mid December I received an email from Painter tech support that they know the issue exists and are working on a fix. Since then, I have not gotten any updates.
What a nice team, working more than a year on a known issue and not being able to solve it? Is that the way you keep your users?