Ok finally solved the problem! It took several days but the answer is buried deep and (I feel rather) obscurely on Corels own web site.
First remove painter from the hard drive by following these instructions (Answer ID
To manually remove Corel® Painter 11 from Macintosh (OS)X
To remove Corel® Painter X, or Corel® Painter 11 Please follow the steps listed below.
- 1) Open Macintosh Hard Drive | Applications | Remove Corel Painter 11 installation by placing it in the trash can
- 2) Open Macintosh Hard Drive | Users | User name | Library |
Preferences | Remove the file named : com.corel.Painter11.plist by
placing it in the trash can
- 3) Open Macintosh Hard Drive | Users | User name | Library |
Application Support | Corel | Remove the folder : Painter 11 by placing
it in the trash can
- 4. Painter 11 is now Removed
Next (Answer ID
Corel® Painter™ 11 Invalid Serial # after a migration from a G5 Mac to a Snow Leopard using Time Machine
Follow the following procedure to activate your program.
1. Remove the Corel® Painter™ 11 by using Answer ID # 763711
2. Open Macintosh Hard Drive | System | Library | CoreServices | Directory Utility
3. Click the Lock icon and type in your Mac password
4. From the Edit menu, select Enable Root User
5. From the Edit menu Select Change Root Password and type in the new root password
6. Modify the permissions Open Macintosh Hard Drive | Library | Preferences
7. Preferences folder use Keyboard shortcut keys Command+I or Apple +I to "Get Info"
8. Click on the Sharing & Permissions:
9. Click on the Lock and enter your Password
10. Click on Everyone: Read &Write and make sure you have enabled
the check mark beside Read & Write to give the required permissions,
and then click on the gear drop down arrow and apply to the enclosed
11. Keep "Get Info" window open for the Preferences folder so that you can revert the permissions later.
12. Reinstall Corel® Painter™ 11
13. Launch Corel® Painter™ 11, and you’ll be able activated online successfully
14. Repeat Steps # 3, 4, and 5 to Disable Root User, as soon as possible for security reasons.
PS. Note: Please note that after follow these instructions you should disable the root user
I followed these steps and I'm back up and running.
BTW I opted to buy the software and did so by digital download. No problems once I got this issue resolved.