I'm not sure ... it is just something I noticed today since I had to work this way. I don't remember not being able to select colors in layers before ... this seems like an obvious bug ... or if as you said the workspace is "corrupt" ... I would consider that a bug too, since I just reset the workspace a few days ago.
I'm pretty sure there are still some things Corel needs to fix in this version of painter. This is just one.
My workaround, flattening the layers and doing selections is working and getting me through this project. Serious deadline in progress.
Thanks for the note!
Another workaround you may be able to try now or sometime in the future, when the circumstances are right.
Instead of using the Magic Wand tool, I've found that it's often easier and it works better to do the following:
1. Use the Dropper tool to select the background color and make it the Main color.
2. In the Select menu, choose the Auto Select > Using: Current Color.
3. If the selection contains areas that you do not want to change (for instance ones that are not part of the background), either:
- Ignore them or
- After saving the original selection, deselect those areas, using (can't check right now but as I recall, in Windows, hold down the Alt key while selecting with the Lasso tool or, on Mac, hold down the Option key while selecting with the Lasso tool).
4. When you have the selection the way you want it, save it again.
5. Choose the new background color and make it the Main Color.
6. Using the Paint Bucket tool, click inside the newly saved selection to fill it with the new background color.
I hope you'll find this helpful.