in

PainterFactory.com

brush compatibility from 12 to x3

Last post 08-18-2013 1:13 PM by ipetcats. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2013 2:36 PM

brush compatibility from 12 to x3

Since I'm still in 12.2 but hoping to soon to go to x3 I wanted to know from folks here about bruch compatibility from 12.2 to x3 as well as from 13 to 12.2 if there 's an issue.

Skip is working on some new watercolor brushes for x3 and wondering how 3rd party brushes work with 12.2, it may take a while to upgrade to x3

Thanks for any info.

Wyndham

• 08-17-2013 11:44 PM In reply to

Re: brush compatibility from 12 to x3

Hey...

X3 brushes are not backward compatible, but 12.2 brushes are compatible with X3.  Painter X and 11 brushes are compatible with X3. I don't have any earlier versions...so that is far as I know.

Hope that helps,

Skip

Skip Allen
    Instructor Digital Art Academy
    Corel Painter Master
    http://skipallenpaints.com/
  • 08-18-2013 9:19 AM In reply to

Thanks Skip, I saw your vid using some new brushes you are working on. From the video, you said these will likely change before you are ready to share them.

I'm hoping you can give a few pointers on your workflow on visiualzation &  making new wc brushes, sort of get into the mind of Skip Allen, scary as that my be :)

Wyndham

• 08-18-2013 10:27 AM In reply to

Scary indeed, I get out of it as often as I can, which gives new meaning to "out of my mind." 

The work flow on developing new brushes is really simple.  I am constantly watching traditional artist work, buying their books, and looking at their paintings.  I haven't painted traditionally in over 40 years, but a week or so ago, I got really crazy and ordered a bunch of watercolor supplies.  I still had my butcher pan watercolor palette circa 1965.  In the last two days, I've played a bit with the traditional stuff.  I am quite surprised how different it feels from what I remember. 

Yesterday, I watched a tutorial from Linda Kemp.  Normally, I would try to do what she was doing, but in Painter.  This time I first tried it using traditional paint.  It was fun, but not too successful; it is going to take a lot of practice on my part.  Anyway, Linda loves the granulation that occurs with watercolor, and I was noticing the granulation in my practice piece.  I checked a few of my custom brushes in Painter and started playing with granulation.  Linda uses watercolor very thickly.  Where thick it is very dark, but she pulls the color out to a lighter value.  So, I took some of the granulation brushes and brought up the opacity, concentration, and viscosity.  Now, I was getting something akin to what Linda was demonstrating.  She was also using a 3/4" flat, so I squeezed the variant and set it for rotation.

That's really all there is to it.  I watch traditional watercolor artist and try to mimic what they do.

Skip

Skip Allen
    Instructor Digital Art Academy
    Corel Painter Master
    http://skipallenpaints.com/
  • 08-18-2013 1:13 PM In reply to

Wynpotter:

Since I'm still in 12.2 but hoping to soon to go to x3 I wanted to know from folks here about bruch compatibility from 12.2 to x3 as well as from 13 to 12.2 if there 's an issue.

Skip is working on some new watercolor brushes for x3 and wondering how 3rd party brushes work with 12.2, it may take a while to upgrade to x3

Thanks for any info.

Wyndham

you can import brush from earlier versions with no issues (so technically, even painter 7 brushes will work fine when placed into painter x3 environment);

you will generally like to avoid importing brushes from recent versions into older ones because of constantly introduced brush code that old versions will have much trouble recognizing.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.

Banner Artwork by Don Seegmiller.